I have been writing this blog for four years now and prior to that I had another blog called The Unknown Pleasures. The running theme of Substance and The Unknown Pleasures is Joy Division. When I changed, it was a new chapter in my life and I felt like keeping a consistent theme throughout made sense. Because it has been four years, I thought I would share a few things about myself that you may not know already!
30 THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT ME
- I grew up in several different places from the age of 1-17. From the age of 1-8 I lived on the Far South Coast of New South Wales, Australia. Then I moved to the Central West between the ages of 9-15. When I was 15 my parents moved back to the Far South Coast and I did my final school years there.
- I lived in Cooma, New South Wales with my Mum for six months while the rest of my family was on the South Coast.
- I moved out of home at 16 and lived with my best friend and her parents for year 12
- I love vintage and antique shopping.
- I have been in TV commercials, a music video and walked numerous fashion weeks. But I really didn’t enjoy modeling. I found going to castings and go-sees weren’t constructive and it took it’s toll on my self confidence. It taught me a lot about the industry and it lead to me working in the fashion industry. I learned that I wanted to write and work on projects.
- I don’t like wearing things that are popular. If a trend takes off, I won’t wear it again. Cue: Birkenstocks, Fishnets, Superstars et al.
- I hate being told I can not do something because I am female. It only makes me want to do it more.
- I am really competitive with sports, board games and basically anything. I grew up doing a lot of sport / athletics so I think my competitive nature stemmed from that. I love a challenge. I also love watching tennis, swimming and surfing.
- I can not pick up a new skill or action without wanting to be good at it – which is a good thing, but also a bad thing as well. For Example: I learned to wake board last year and I was getting so frustrated (I get super mad at myself) for not being able to do it instantly. I made my friends Chris, Chuck, Amy and Anthea keep circling until I managed to do it consistently!!
- I am one of four children and I am the youngest. I have two sisters and a brother. My brother treated me like a boy all through my childhood. Anything he did, I did as well, so I think that’s why I am not a super girlie girl.
- My main interests are: Art, photography, fashion, anything ocean based, reading
- I love being creative whether it’s taking photos, writing, painting. It’s good for my brain
- My friends would say my humor is unconventional and that I am witty
- I find it easier to express / articulate myself through writing than speaking
- My favourite genre of film is: Horror and 80s/90s rom-com
- I chipped one of my back teeth on a vodka cruiser bottle when I was 15 and I can still feel the rough part of it.
- I am 5’10” aka 177cms
- I prefer reading books in first person, than third person
- I got braces. Twice. Well, the second time round was Invisalign. That’s right I am one of those people who don’t learn and mess their perfectly straight teeth up. I got my Invisalign off a year ago and I have definitely learned my lesson.
- When we younger my Brother and Sister Bec, would name all our belly buttons. Mine’s name to this day is Cumber Don. My brother’s is Oscar and my sister’s is Yoda.
- My childhood dog died in my arms when I was 16
- I am terrible at all video games, but great at board games
- I am super laid back, but I used to have a pretty terrible temper. I can be quite fiery.
- The next destination on my must-visit list is Japan
- When I laugh my nostrils flare uncontrollably and all my friends find it hilarious. I am the only person I know this happens to!
- I fall asleep within an hour of a long haul flight. I can fall asleep almost everywhere.
- On my Dad’s side I am Danish and Irish. On my Mum’s side I am English.
- I want to start telling other people’s stories instead of just having my blog as my own thing. I want to start a new project soon.
- I nearly died two years ago when I was washed off rocks by a freak wave.
- I can appear quite shy when I first meet people, but very quickly warm up
SOURCE: Substance – Read entire story here.