If you’re familiar with my blog then you know I’m ALL about statement pieces. Even as I’m shopping for basics I will spot something neon, ruffled, floral (or all of the above) across the store and I’m drawn to it like a millennial to a gluten-free artisanal donut. Which leaves me with this predicament: on a limited budget, how do I narrow down which statement pieces to buy? Here are six questions I ask myself:
1. Do I want to change anything about it? I love the print and fit of these shorts, but if I’m honest with myself, I’d rather the material be matte and not shiny.
2. What’s my budget and what else could I buy? I really like these shorts, but I probably like other statement items I’m considering right now better, including the white pair below. (Budgets are dope because they help you envision the give-and-take of limited funds.)
3. Do I immediately want to wear it? If I’m not wearing it as soon as it arrives, then trouble could be brewing. (Unless it’s super fancy and purchased for a specific event.) I haven’t worn these shorts yet, despite having several social engagements they would’ve worked for. No bueno.
4. Is it comfortable/does it fit? These shorts are one bloated belly away from not fitting quite right, due to the shiny material and high waist fit. Which certainly won’t make them any easier to “throw on.”
5. Can I imagine wearing it in 10 years? Tastes change as we age and there’s no way to be certain, but if I can’t at all fathom wearing it in 10 years, then skip.
6. Can I wear it different ways/for different occasions? I like to have a general idea of three ways I could wear it and/or three places I could wear it. I can think of several places to wear this look, but as far as styling goes… these shorts may be a one trick pony.
What are your tips and tricks for purchasing statement pieces for your closet?
Top: H&M, $6 (similar, similar)
Shorts: H&M, $40 (similar)
Shoes: JustFab, $39 (similar, similar)
Earrings: J.Crew Factory, $15
Sunglasses: Foster Grant, $15 (similar, similar)
Hat: JCPenney c/o, $13 (similar, similar)
Clutch: Gap, $16 (similar, similar, similar)
Approx. dates: Purse is 6 years ago. Shoes are 4 years ago. Top is 1 year ago. Hat was 6 months ago. Earrings are recent.
SOURCE: J’s Everyday Fashion – Read entire story here.